On Monday afternoon, I tweeted out a Bismack Biyombo contract fact on ProCity Hoops. The fact was that Biyombo was paid $17 million last season. If we break that up by how much he earned per point scored, he earned about $36,325 for every point he scored. The response to the tweet was great, and people were interested to hear about more bizarre NBA contract facts. So, let’s rattle off a list of some of the most bizarre NBA contract facts.
- Kevin Martin will make about $1.4 million from the Minnesota Timberwolves next season. Martin retired from the NBA in 2016.
- The Atlanta Hawks paid 18 players money last season that were not on their team. This money mostly comes from buyouts. Some of the names include Jamal Crawford, Marco Belinelli, Richard Jefferson, and more.
- Remember Josh Smith? The Detroit Pistons owe him $5.4 million per year for the next two seasons.
- Paul Pierce was paid $1.1 million by the Clippers last season. Pierce also had his jersey retired last season.
- Danilo Gallinari made about $20.6 million with the Clippers last season. He scored a total of 321 points throughout the season. That means, Gallinari made roughly $64,174 for every point he scored.
- The Milwaukee Bucks owe Larry Sanders $1.9 million every year through the 2021/22 NBA season.
- The Portland Trail Blazers have to pay Andrew Nicholson $2.8 million each season until the end of the 2022/23 season.
- The Cleveland Cavaliers have no current players under contract for the 2020/21 season other than Ante Zizic, who has a team option.
- Luol Deng made $17.2 million last season while appearing in just one game. He scored two points in that game, meaning he made about $8.6 million per point scored.
- The Washington Wizards will be required to pay Martell Webster $830,000 next season. Webster has not appeared in an NBA game since the 2014/15 season.
- The Brooklyn Nets owe Deron Williams $11 million total over the course of the next two seasons.
- The Grizzlies have about $83.2 million tied up between Marc Gasol, Mike Conley, and Chandler Parsons for the 2019/20 season.
- Omer Asik made $10.6 million last season while scoring a total of four points. That equivalates to Asik making $2.65 million per point scored last season.
- The Indiana Pacers have to pay Monta Ellis $2.25 million per year for the next four seasons.
- The New York Knicks paid Joakim Noah $17.8 million last season. With Noah appearing in just seven games, he earned about $2.5 million per game he played in last season.
There are obviously a lot more bizarre and bad contracts in the NBA, but these are the 15 that stuck out to me to start. There is potential to do a part two in this series with the amount bizarre contracts the NBA currently has! Comment below if you would like to see a part two!
Follow ProCity Hoops on Twitter: Click Here!